This post uses affiliate links, through which I am compensated monetarily or non-monetarily, should you choose to click an affiliate link and make a purchase on that external site.
CLEAN SKINCARE, MORNING AND NIGHT
Skincare routines have become increasingly important in the past few years of my life. Thank you, to whoever summed up skincare practices in a simple but profound statement (which applies to measures taken for anti-aging and acne-prone skin, as much as it does a plethora of other parts of life, to be honest): prevention is just as critical as treatment. So, as promised in my everyday makeup bog post, I am sharing my skincare routines in today’s post!
Brands in the skincare industry are (luckily) acting on the clean beauty movement, so a lot of the products I use are just that: clean! My goal is to have a 100% clean regimen by the end of this year. You may ask, why give yourself so long to achieve a completely clean skincare wardrobe? It just so happens, my skin likes to have a full on freak-out in response to any change, so it takes some time, trial & error and a LOT of patience to find products and ingredients that agree with my skin.
To recap, I have combination skin, so my t-zone is oily, but the rest of my face can get dry and patchy. This post includes my thoughts and personal experiences with the products mentioned. As always, you should use your best judgement, and knowledge of your own skin type, to make decisions about what to try out yourself. It’s also important to research what ingredients work together, and more importantly (in my opinion) which ones DON’T work well together. This is a great read from HuffPost to teach you about ingredient interactions!
A little clean beauty FAQ to get us started:
What is clean beauty: Clean beauty, simply put, is non-toxic, transparent formulation that is good for both the body and the environment.
Why should I use clean beauty: If you think about how long skincare stays on your skin, it goes without saying that ingredients known for harmful health effects are ones you want to avoid in your routines.
Harper’s Bazaar recently came out with The Ultimate Guide to Clean Beauty that is 100% THE ultimate guide, and 100% worth the read.
IMPORTANT: As it relates to both my morning and nighttime routines, I apply any serums, peels, moisturizers, SPF, etc. to my face, neck AND top of my hands! The skin in all 3 locations is delicate, and needs the TLC! DON’T FORGET THE NECK AND HANDS!
MY MORNING SKINCARE ROUTINE
- Cleanse: The face cleanser I use depends on how my skin feels from products used the night before. If it feels relatively *normal*, I use the Summer Fridays Super Amino Gel Cleanser, an enriching face wash in GORGEOUS packaging. If my skin feels a little dry or flaky, I’ll use the Tatcha Rice Polish: Deep, a gentle but effective exfoliator.
- Eye Care: I have been using the OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème, which has a slightly yellow hue that automatically brightens the under eye area, as well as a beautiful texture that works well under makeup.
- Serum or oil: Whether I use a serum or oil in the morning again depends on how my skin feels when I wake up. I use the goop GOOPGLOW 20% Vitamin C + Hyaluronic Glow Serum if my skin is feeling mostly *normal*. This is a stronger formulation of vitamin C serum, so the addition of hyaluronic acid keeps it from being drying, and combined, this serum seriously helps improve skin’s texture. If my skin feels a little dry or flaky, I’ll use the Joanna Vargas Rejuvenating Serum, which is actually an oil. It’s also an aromatherapy experience – it smells divine! For lack of a better way to describe it, my skin feels comforted after applying this serum, and given a bit of time to sink in, makeup applies beautifully over it.
- Moisturizer: My moisturizer changes with the time of year and new releases, but the one I always go back to is the Kiehl’s Rosa Arctica Lightweight Cream. As the name suggests, it’s lightweight, but it’s also very nourishing!
- SPF: SPF is a non-negotiable for me for many reasons, but the one I feel must be mentioned – if you use any sort of retinol, vitamin C, AHAs (the list goes on) you MUST wear SPF. Your skin is made most sensitive to the sun by using these types of treatments. And when there are gorgeous SPFs like the Tatcha Pore Perfecting Sunscreen, don’t ask questions, just put it on. TIP: Sometimes I mix in a drop or 2 of the Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Anti-Pollution Sunshine Drops to not only warm up my face (since it never sees the sun without SPF), but for an antioxidant shot AND protection from pollution.
MY NIGHTTIME SKINCARE ROUTINE
- Remove makeup: I always use a micellar water to remove my (stubborn) eye and face makeup before cleansing, and the Bioderma Sensibio H2O is my all-time favorite. Soak a Face Halo with this micellar water, hold against your eyes for 20 seconds, and wipe away that waterproof mascara with ease.
- Cleanse: I only use a gentle cleanser at night, currently the Summer Fridays Super Amino Gel Cleanser (above), because I follow up with chemical exfoliators. I don’t think my skin needs a physical exfoliator in addition to chemical exfoliators.
- Eye Care: I use the Joanna Vargas Revitalizing Eye Cream at night. I have noticed less puffiness in the morning when I use this eye cream, and in true Joanna Vargas fashion, it smells heavenly. I plan to start using this in the mornings also, once I run out of the Banana Bright Eye Crème, to streamline my routines a bit.
- Glycolic Acid or Retinol: Nighttime is when I use the heavy-hitters like glycolic acid or retinol, to wake up with transformed skin. Every other night I’m either using the Bliss That’s Incredi-peel Glycolic Resurfacing Pads + Kate Somerville Glow Moisturizer or the Sunday Riley A+ High-Dose Retinoid Serum. This glycolic acid duo was my intro into the AHA world, and I have continued using them because I love how smooth and clear my skin looks the morning after using them. And I do indeed give the Sunday Riley retinoid an A+, as it delivers results like other high-end retinols I have used, at a much better price.
- Moisturizer: I use the Laneige Lavender Water Sleeping Mask to maintain moisture in my skin overnight, while the acid or retinoid go to work.
- Mist: Just in case the sleeping mask isn’t delivering enough moisture, I top it off with the Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence*, the most gorgeous face mist ever.
- Roller: I started using the Nurse Jamie UpLift Massaging Beauty Roller one night, and the next day was told I looked, and I quote, ‘more sculpted’, so I haven’t stopped using it since. Roll away after applying all of your nighttime skincare!
MY SPECIAL OCCASION SKINCARE HEROES
- Eye Mask: For my birthday, one of my friends gave me a box of the Wander Beauty Baggage Claim Eye Masks* and they’re the gift that keeps on giving. I use them as a treat to myself whenever I need a pick-me-up, and look instantly refreshed. I also use the Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber De-Tox Hydra-Gel Eye Patches* while I’m doing my hair, because they’re cooling, and I’m left with completely depuffed eyes. Talk about being productive. Score!
- Sheet Mask: Award for the most luxurious sheet mask I’ve ever used goes to the Joanna Vargas Euphoria Mask*. After 20 minutes, my skin is softer than ever, and looks lit from within.
Brands are constantly coming out with new products, and additionally, there are constantly new brands entering the industry, so my routines will change over time as I try new products. The products I outlined today are ones I’ve been using for at least a few months, and some for MUCH longer. I believe you need to give a product at least a few weeks, to not only see results (or lack thereof), but also to make sure the formulation agrees with your skin.
If you’re a skincare and makeup junkie like I am, check out a previous blog post where I talk about my favorite finds from 5 beauty retailers, several of which are mentioned in today’s post* in case you need further confirmation of how amazing they are! I’d also love to hear what your morning and/ or nighttime skincare hero products are! Bonus points if you have any favorite masks to share, as I would love to get into masking more frequently!
Interested in going clean with your skincare routines, or simply expanding your already clean regimen? Credo Beauty, the largest clean beauty retailer, is the place to shop! Click the ‘shop now’ button below to go directly to their site to discover all their clean beauty goodness.
Credit for stock photos at top: Tatcha Rice Polish: Deep, OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème, Summer Fridays Super Amino Gel Cleanser, goop GOOPGLOW Vitamin C + Hyaluronic Serum, Tatcha Pore Perfecting Suncreen