This post uses affiliate links, through which I am compensated monetarily or non-monetarily, should you choose to click an affiliate link and make a purchase on that external site.
WE HAVE A LONG WEEKEND COMING UP, WHAT DO WE DO?
Memorial Day weekend is upon us. Although most people are coming off a month-long (or longer) stay-at-home order and it’s yet not completely safe to attend large gatherings or highly populated locations (AKA the airport), I’m still inspired to write about what to pack for a long weekend and where to find the best weekenders and luggage, even if you don’t put these tips and tricks to use for the upcoming holiday. I’m not traveling anywhere, so I’ll be living vicariously through this post, and any travel pictures I catch on social media.
Here are some of my own not-so-predictable packing essentials for warm and cold destinations, and traveling in general!
IF YOU’RE TRAVELING SOMEWHERE WARM, don’t forget the..
- Bendy or collapsible hat. Those Panama-style hats are adorable until they get smushed during a flight (talking from experience). So, still wear the cute Panama-style hat, but have a backup.
- SPF! SPF! SPF! For face, body AND lips! Even if you’re not out to tan specifically, any time spent outside exposes you to UV rays. Find one that dries down nicely with a fragrance you like, or even better one that’s fragrance-free, and you won’t even remember you have it on.
- Layers. While your day clothing will be lightweight and you’ll likely be showing more skin that normal (oh hey, bikini), some warm climates get nippy once the sun sets! And we all know the chills you get at night after spending *too much* time in the sun.
IF YOU’RE TRAVELING SOMEWHERE COLD, don’t forget the..
- Tea bags! There’s nothing like warming up with your favorite tea after being out in the cold.
- Your most moisturizing creams, lotions and balms. If you’re traveling to a cold region from warm weather, chances are your skin is going to have a bit of a meltdown (punny, right?). Make sure to have your most nourishing products on hand for face, body and lips and apply OFTEN!
- Tech Gloves. These come in handy (there I go again) for more than just snapping pictures! Imagine having to take off your gloves to use an ATM outside when you’re already frozen solid?
NO MATTER WHERE YOU’RE TRAVELING, don’t forget the..
- Packing cubes. Stay organized, coming or going.
- Instant Film Camera + extra film and batteries. I have the Fujifilm Instax Square SQ6 in Blush Gold, and have loved being able to take photos as mementos from a trip.
- Truffle Clarity Jetset Case (or other TSA-approved bag) for your liquids. Check out how much I can fit in mine (with room to spare)!
- Slippers. If you’ve never traveled with a pair of slippers to wear around the room, make them the first thing in your suitcase when packing for your next trip. It might seem small, but it makes you feel at home, even if you’re 2,000 miles away.
- External battery pack. Travel days can be the longest kind of day, and 99% of airport outlets are taken 99% of the time (approximately). This one isn’t the cutest, but it’s super durable, charges all kinds of devices several times before it has to be re-charged, and has the brightest flashlight I’ve ever seen!
- Handheld steamer. Having worked in both the fashion and home industries, I have been around steamers of all sorts for a long time. I have a full-size clothing steamer at home, and a handheld steamer stowed in my luggage at all times because it’s a must-have item on any trip.
- Current nail polish + clear nail polish + nail file. Make this ‘kit’ a permanent packing list line item. Nothing is worse than chipping your manicure and snagging everything in sight until you can have it fixed. Do a quick file to smooth out any rough edges, paint the color (if you have a gel manicure, match your color as best you can) and top with a clear coat. No more chipped nail, AND you don’t have to spend any of your precious vacation time at a salon!
THROW IT IN THE BAG
the WEEKENDER/ DUFFLE
Shown, from left: Dagne Dover Extra Large Landon Caryall in Dune, Cole Haan Large Grand Ambition Weekender Duffle Bag in Black, AERIN Suede Oversized Weekender in Sand
the CARRY-ON LUGGAGE
Travel bags need to be functional, first and foremost, but once you have that checked off, go for something easy on the eyes! These are 6 great carry-on options, but don’t forget to check local retailers like Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls and outlet stores for mega-deals!
Once it is safe to travel again, what trips are you planning?